Sunday, June 13, 2010

6th Graders

The 6th graders were treated to a nice lunch and dance instruction as part of their "graduation" into Jr. high. The girls were allowed to dress up as fancy as they wanted. Megan did her own hair complete with rhinestone clips and tons of curls. She definitely has a talent for hair.
She was so excited to begin go to school looking so grown-up.
Each girl was paired randomly with a boy in the class. Megan wasn't too happy when the boy she absolutely didn't want drew her name. She was very gracious though and endured the etiquette lunch. They were served chicken cordon bleu with all the fancy trimmings---much better than the usual cafeteria fare.

Megan did manage to smile even with her "date." I'm so glad we have 4 more years before we actually have to worry about this.
After lunch, a dance instructor came and tried to show the 6th graders the finer points of ballroom dancing. There were a lot of scared looks and some groaning when the girls were told to pair off with a boy, but in the end they all did it---barely. How different they will be in a few years!
There was a lot of concentrating on foot work and very little looking up.
I liked the fact that most of the girls are really a lot taller than the boys. The instructor tried to rotate the girls around so that they could try and dance with someone close in height. Megan doesn't seem that tall until I look at the boys her age. I think they all had fun and enjoyed their first grown-up experience. I'm still not ready for jr. high, though.






1 comment:

Natalie said...

She looks like she's 18. Cute hair, Megan.