Monday, June 14, 2010

DARE

The 6th grade curriculum includes learning about the dangers and risks of drugs through the DARE program. Each week for months, an officer with the Sheriff's office has come to the school to show movies and generally scare Megan. It has been good for her to see the effects of not only drugs, but gangs and other risky behaviors. I was always amused to hear what they had learned about and then to hear about her reaction.
Once the program is complete the officers put on a graduation program. All the students get a t-shirt and a certificate saying they will resist drugs and alcohol.
As the reward for graduating, the DARE program then hosts a day at Lagoon for the graduates. The 6th graders from all around the state were invited that day (as was every other jr. high and high school student). Megan met up with friends from a couple of different schools. I wasn't quite sure how I felt about her being at Lagoon all day by herself, so a couple of other Moms and I tagged along.
I have honestly never seen Lagoon as crowded as it was that day. We waited hours just for a few rides. I was frustrated, but the kids had fun.
The best part of the day was the giant snowcones.
Here are the 6th graders ready to hit it big in the world! I'm glad I went and could spend the day with Megan and her friends.





No comments: